Asda retail 'destinations' concessions offering
When Asda outlined ambitious plans to transform their concessions into unique retail ‘destinations’ for their growing customer base, the leading British supermarket sought the expertise of Sigma to help integrate a host of recognisable high street brands into one of its supercentre stores in Wigan.
and M&E works
Today’s retailers continue to face dramatic shifts in consumer behaviour, and for one of the Big 4 supermarkets it is certainly the case. Asda understood that in order to tempt customers back into stores delivering a memorable experience was imperative, particularly given that a high percentage of consumers are willing to pay a premium for better experiences .
Driven by the customer experience imperative, Asda outlined a forward-thinking strategy to create a duo of ‘flagship’ partner stores that would have broader appeal and bring new products and services to customers.
The supercentre store features physical concessions from 13 brands across a variety of categories, all under one roof, including locations for new partners New Look, Missguided, Maximuscle, Rawr Beauty, My Protein also Lee and Wrangler.
- Client – Asda and George
- Project Summary – Asda retail 'destinations' concessions offering
- Sigma Support – Fit-out, Fixture managers, Installation, M&E, Equipment Consolidation and Logistics services
- Location – Wigan
As part of the fast-track four-week scheme, Sigma was appointed as the main contractor, also fixture manager, with direct responsibility for the installation and M&E works at the Wigan store.
Designed to offer shoppers in Wigan a ‘one-stop’ destination to quickly and conveniently purchase what they need; the superstore include a number of firsts for Asda. These include, a new beauty partnership with Rawr Beauty, as well as a dedicated 'Sportzone' with partners
Decathlon, Maxi Muscle and My Protein, also a The Entertainer branded toy aisle featuring hundreds of toy brands such as LOL, Hot Wheels, Paw Patrol and Barbie.
As the main contractor on the project, Sigma was tasked with creating a facility that would seamlessly integrate a wealth of recognisable high street brands, providing consumers with a unified shopping experience for all their needs.
Naturally the amalgamation of 13 distinct brands – each with their own brand personas and styles – into two superstores would require careful planning, a coordinated approach, and extensive knowledge of transforming commercial space. Particularly as it had to be completed in a four-week timeframe.
Appointed as Main Contractor and Fixture Managers by Asda, Sigma provided an end-to-end turn-key solution for the entire project including: Fit-out, Installation & Mechanical & Electrical services.
Positioned also as Asda’s dedicated equipment consolidation partner, Sigma enabled the management and forward delivery of the equipment to facilitate the store transformation as well as the reverse logistics of any redundant in-store equipment for refurbishment, recycling and storage in Asda’s dedicated warehouse space.
“Phil was extremely helpful during the project and supported myself and the store throughout. Neil was brilliant as always too.”
As the lead contractor Sigma was tasked with the fit-out and installation of a
- Enhanced fashion offer in a dedicated zone, including Missguided, In The Style, New Look, Lee and Wrangler and Girls on Film, alongside popular George collections
- New ‘fitness zone’ offering equipment, clothing and sports supplements from Decathlon, My Protein and Maximuscle to complement Asda’s own ranget
- New in-house beauty salon for partner Rawr Beauty offering a range of beauty nail, brow and lash services giving customers the chance to conveniently combine a regular trip to the supermarket with a pampering session
- Branded toy aisle featuring hundreds of new toys, including LOL, Hot Wheels, Paw Patrol and Barbie products in partnership with The Entertainer
- Collection of branded accessories, hair products, stationery, and gifts from Claire’s and Accessorize
- musicMagpie SMARTdrop kiosks where customers can recycle old smartphones for cash whilst in store
- Homeware concept department featuring bedding, bathroom, kitchen and dining and home accessories
- New build Click & Collect collection point to make life easier for customers
- Specialized back-of-house space, including a dedicated warehouse for the new partnerships
The new destination superstore will significantly enhance Asda’s offering to its growing customer base, allowing shoppers access to the supermarket’s biggest ever range of partner brands in a single store. Customers can purchase a special outfit for a night out, or a toy for a birthday gift, they’ll find everything in a single location.
Sigma was able to deliver the entire project, including an intuitive complete turnkey solution of fit-out and M&E works and warehouse and logistics services, within a tight timeframe of just four weeks, significantly reducing operational downtime for the leading brand.
“Well done all and thanks again. A great job by all involved.”
EDWARD MORRIS, Store Design Expert - ASDA
Sigma are proud to partner with Asda as we landed their new Innovation Project as they continue to transform their concessions offering throughout their store estate, including a host of recognisable high street brands!
As part of a four-week scheme, we were appointed as Main Contractor and Fixture Managers and were responsible for Installation and M&E
Drop us a line if you'd like to discuss your next Design project
Head of Design