In what has been coined ‘Manchester’s smartest workplace’ is 111 Piccadilly, the 50,000 sq/ft commercial building located in Manchester city centre. Its centrepiece no doubt is the 200ft innovative lighting installation that illuminates three sides of the iconic building ensuing it is visible from vantage points across the city centre. It has also been recognised as the first co-working space in the UK to achieve Platinum standard WELL certification.
Within this ambitious project, the refurbishment, overseen by Principal Contractor Workspace Design & Build, with Sigma M&E acting as mechanical & electrical lead, saw the strip out and demolition of the whole ground & upper ground level to create a new hub for businesses.
- Client - Bruntwood Works
- Principal Contractor - Workspace Design & Build
- Architect - 3D Reid
- Designer - Cathy Mocke
- Lighting Designer - Artin Light. (Luke Artingstall)
- M&E - Sigma M&E
As part of the site preparation work, Sigma carefully removed disposed of existing redundant electrical, voice and data installations to the Ground and Upper Ground Floors as well as being responsible for the installation and maintenance of site temporary supplies for enabling and contract works throughout the contract.
To ensure the WELL certification status, Sigma installed a powder coated containment system to the ground and upper ground floors. This containment carried the cabling for Electrical, Fire Alarm, Security and Voice & Data systems.
The building also contains a circadian lighting system – designed to replicate a 24-hour cycle of sleep, wake, hunger, alertness, and body temperature.
Leading by Example
Full scope of works on this illustrious project
- We utilised our in-house CAD team to assist with producing working drawings as well as the fitted drawings.
- Installation of specialist external up-lighting to green windows to 2 elevations.
- Installation of fibre optic lighting to the external stall riser and soffit of the GEM. Controlled via DMX protocol with remote light source boxes located in the undercroft and in the Gem ceiling void.
- Installation of new LED Lighting system to GF & UGF controlled by MODE lighting panels, utilising Mains Dimming, 0-10v Dimming and DALI, localised Scene Setting via wall plates and local switching via Passive Infra-Red and Microwave Sensors.
- Installation of power supplies to external elevator.
- Installation of café servery and catering equipment supplies.
- Installation of speed gates to control access to the building from the main foyer, Fire Alarm interfaces were also installed on these gates.
- Installation of new sub mains to supply the small power, mechanical and lighting distribution boards located in the UGF switch room
- Installation of galvanised steel trunking and galvanised steel conduit containment system to plant rooms.
- Installation of small power throughout the GF & UGF to provide power points for display monitors, computers, TV’s and mechanical fans.
- Installation of floor boxes to the UGF meeting rooms, cut into the timber flooring.
- Installation of under floor lighting and small power.
- Installation of 2nd floor roof plant deck supplies for Air Handling Units.
- Installation of roof crane supplies
- Installation of roof fibre optic supplies, via in-rush limiters to protect the animated fibre external lighting that occupies the 3 main elevations of the building from ground to roof level
- Installation of new Voice and Data System throughout the GF & UGF consisting of 152 number Cat 5e UTP points, patch panels, fibre links from UGF to Roof, all LinkWare tested.
- Completion tests and certification
An in-house M&E team to showcase your space in the best light
UK Tel: +44 (0) 845 521 0258